Knowing When to Consider a Denture Reline: Expert Insights from Muccioli Dental
At Muccioli Dental in Johns Creek, we understand the importance of well-fitting dentures for both comfort and functionality. Over time, dentures may require relining due to various reasons. Here, we discuss the key signs indicating when a denture reline might be necessary and the factors that contribute to changes in denture fit.
Why Do Dentures Stop Fitting Well?
There are many factors that can change the way your dentures fit and feel, including:
- Changes in Jawbone and Gums: The most common reason for ill-fitting dentures is the natural change in the contours of the jawbone and gums, especially in the absence of natural teeth.
- Wear and Tear: Regular use of dentures leads to natural wear and tear, affecting their fit over time.
- Weight Fluctuations: Significant weight gain or loss can alter the shape of your face and mouth, impacting how your dentures fit.
- Aging: As you age, your mouth’s shape can change, necessitating adjustments to your dentures.
- Improper Care: Not taking proper care of your dentures can lead to warping and other issues affecting the fit.
When to Consider a Denture Reline
At Muccoli Dental, we encourage patients to come in for a denture reline if they are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Discomfort and Irritation: If your dentures are causing discomfort, sore spots, or irritation, it may be time for a reline.
- Loose Fit: Dentures that slip or move around in your mouth can be a sign that they no longer fit properly.
- Difficulty Eating or Speaking: Challenges in chewing food or speaking clearly can indicate the need for a reline.
- Changes in Facial Appearance: Noticeable changes in facial appearance, such as sagging around the mouth, can result from poorly fitting dentures.
Types of Denture Relines
- Soft Reline: Ideal for patients with sensitive gums, a soft reline involves adding a softer, more flexible material to the denture base.
- Hard Reline: A hard reline reshapes the denture base using the same hard material as the original denture, providing a more durable solution.
Professional Assessment and Reline Services in Johns Creek
At Muccioli Dental, we recommend regular check-ups to assess the fit of your dentures and determine the need for relining. Our skilled team ensures that your dentures not only fit comfortably but also function optimally.
Well-fitting dentures are essential for maintaining your oral health, comfort, and quality of life. If you’re experiencing any issues with your dentures, consider visiting Muccioli Dental in Johns Creek for a professional assessment. A timely denture reline can restore comfort, functionality, and confidence in your smile.
Posted on behalf of Dr. Randy Muccioli, Muccioli Dental
Muccioli Dental - Johns Creek Dentist
6300 Hospital Pkwy, Suite 275
Johns Creek, Georgia 30097
Phone: (678) 389-9955